-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Filacchione, Alex
(ISSAtlanta)
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 11:08 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Opinions? Wireless access point, firewall, eth., DSL box

I am looking for a combo DSL gateway (IF w/ DSL router), Firewall, 802.11b
access point, w/ 10/100 ports.

Most of the reviews that I have read only slightly talk about the
firewalling features of these devices.

The ones that I have looked at that look promising so far are:

D-Link 713P and 714
SMC Barricade (802.11 version)

and a couple of others.  In the street price range of $200 or less (the
D-Link you can get for around $100, and the SMC is only a little more)

Has anyone really looked into these devices and their firewall features?  In
your experience, which has the best firewalling features in this price
range?

Some have stateful packet filtering, some don't.  Some offer a DMZ function
(that I will never use), and some don't.  Some offer port forwarding, some
don't.  Some can control access based on MAC addr, some can't.  Some are
managed via SNMP, some are http.  All that I have looked at offer 40 &
128-bit WEP.   etc., etc., etc.

I am not only looking for the best features, but the configurability of them
as well.  Having dealt with firewalls and routers a lot in the past I really
don't care if the management interface is "pretty".  But I do want it to be
functional and highly configurable, even if it is only with a command line
or something.

Right now, judging by what I have read about the features I am leaning
towards the SMC as it has MAC based filtering, stateful inspection, port
forwarding, virtual ports, etc., etc.

Any insight, advice, experience, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex F