2 different answers for this one.

1) (archaic) A method of transmitting a packet with some/all of the
intermediate routers specified to reach its destination.  Fallen strongly
out of favor due to inefficiency and security risks.

2) A technique in policy-based routing which makes forwarding decisions
based not only on the destination of the packet, but also its
source.  Useful if, e.g., a company has 2 routable subnets from 2 different
ISPs, and they want to ensure that the right traffic goes out the right
WAN, rather than all traffic through a single default gateway.

-Jim