128 bit, now there are folks that lack the knowledge and skills or even
the wish to update older browsers, and one might lose some business from
them, but, go with 128bit ssl.  Might wish to join the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] list for more detailed info on how to force your
httpd to this level, they tend to config with a fallback, but, you can
force this as a requirement and redirect folks that aren't in complinace
to a page detailing their needs to upgrade to continue and such.  Look
into the newer apache, it comes with ssl as part of the dist and lets one
avoind having to do a log sorted compile with the mod-ssl compnonets in
addition to the need for mm and all, though yer still going to have to use
openssl or some more costly off the self stuffs.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Richard Ginski wrote:

> I'm sorry for being off topic, but the response and experience on this
> list is very good and I seek a quick response:
>
> If an organization wished to do credit card processing (without me
> getting into the gory details) what "bit" level of encryption would you
> recommend? (SSL implementation) 56 bit? 128 bit?

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.