HI Ravi,

the thing is : what do you want to do with your firewall.

And dont get confused with the different concepts of firewalls the list-answers offers
you.
First distinguish between PErsonal Firewalls and gateway friewalls.

A PErsonal Firewall like Tiny FW or Zone Alarm (freeware edition) offers you the
protection of  *one* host (in most cases a Workstation) only.

If you want to protect your whole net (which seems to be your question) you need a
kind of Gateway firewall. Such a firewall can consist of several elements such as
paket filters, proxies and application level gateways.

packet filters let you filter network traffic by port an ip-adresses. So you can say :
Permit only incoming pop3 traffic which is on port 110 to the ms-proxy. Such a thing
is provides by linux and ipcahins.

With a proxy you can filter the content of the application for example filter out java
applets from http-traffic. A proxy can also provide caching and authentication.

An Appliocation Level Gateway (which is *not* a proxy running on a gateway) copies the
content of the application protocols and builds new packtes with it like a
email.server within your firewall wich is forwarding email to oyour real mailserver -
but I thnik this goes beyon dthat what you want to do.

I dont have experience with the ms-proxy but from your description you can take this
proxy as a part of the firewall to filter ans proxy pop3 mail. This should not be done
on your PDC/BDC !!! With an extra packet filter (for excample Linux/ipchains or
netfilter) your can restrict the traffic between the internet and your proxy to only
pop3 (and things like http, dns and ftp only to the internet if you want to surf the
web).

There a many of such combinations, good described in "building internet firewalls" by
chapmen, zwick and cooper. but it depends on what you want to do!

nils

----- original Nachricht --------

RE: Best firewall !

Hi,

Thanks
for the advice. I have few more doubts now!! I Would appreciate your answer. One
is how far implementing Evaluation s/w specifically firewalls are good for any
middle-sized organisation. Two is I have Microsoft proxy server installed on my
Domain controller that is also serving as proxy to some extent. Can the proxy
server run parallely with Firewall s/w. I need proxy to download the mails from
POP3 mailboxes to the users MS Outlook.

Thanks
for the help.

Ravi