For example, I registered my own domain and currently use a commercial web hosting company so that my mail address can be independent of the ISP that I currently subscribe with.  Therefore, in the header of my messages you will see:

From: "Marc E. Mandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:

The From field contains my mailing address and is the address that a reply will go to.  However, mandelswamp.com only provides mail forwarding so my outbound messages must be sent to my mail account at my current ISP (Optimum Online).

If you wanted to send a message to someone and have him or her know for certain that you sent it, then you might consider encrypting or digitally signing the mail using Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) or Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) solutions.

Regards;
Marc Mandel