(I'm almost suspecting a troll here, but, bah, I'll feed it)

Shay Hugi wrote:

> [Motorola DDM uses SNMP]
> Lot's of cable companies who use Motorola CMTS's or RiverDelta's are
> using the DDM. And i've never heard anyone say'n anything bad about
> this system.

I have quite a bit of experience in poking around with cable modem
setups (both prior to the DOCSIS standard and with DOCSIS compliant
stuff), and let me tell you this much: security has never been
their top priority.  I'm tempted to compare it to the 802.11b disaster,
only cable modems (usually) aren't used in the same kind of sensitive
environments.  Usually, with cable modems, the worst that can happen is
that someone can get free Internet access on a public network, not
highway access to the inner workings of someone's private network,
so I guess it's understandable that it isn't getting the same kind
of attention.

> I don't see AT ALL why should a management system using SNMP and a
> web based (using Java) system should not run on a dedicated
> authenticated workstation to manage a firewall.

If you equate "firewall" with "SOHO ADSL gateway", yeah, I probably
wouldn't give a sh*t if it used web management or SNMP, but, really,
c'mon, administrating an enterprise class firewall through a web
interface to SNMP ought to be a punishable offense.

> The DDM is truely a powerful product... with no need for any
> session encryption except MD5 for the login passwords.

Oh, I see: it's totally okay for anyone to sniff whatever parts
they wish of my firewall configuration, including pre-shared keys
to VPNs, passwords for AAA-type setups, and details about the
entire ruleset. As long as the admin password is an MD5 hash,
everything is just dandy.

Pffft.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

"Senex semper diu dormit"