picking up on this a bit later....

--On Saturday, 01 June, 2002 20:03 +0200 Ben Nagy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

i would have put it differently: most equipment is not designed to not
emit RF. Ross Anderson's book "Security Engineering" has a chapter
"Emission Security" that talks about various ways to get information
from devices, including signals leaked by conduction over circuits (e.g.,
power lines) or via RF. the former includes things like power analysis,
such as that used against smart cards.

ross mentions, without citing a reference, that LCDs "are also generally
easy for the eavesdropper."

> Right - but what I said originally was "with any reasonable design of
> the AP".

i'd be curious to know what that kind of design implies for
the cost of the device. if one is going to attempt to design
a "secure" card that would protect against this kind of
problem, should one attempt to design it to also protect
against other attacks, such as power attacks? i suppose
not, as all the wireless cards i've seen load the key from
the host computer, and it is probably much easier to get
the key off of such a computer (or off of the storage used
by the AP).

>> [1] Well... maybe there is.  I may be mistaken but I do
>> believe that in "Spycatcher" there was a story about a
>> certain embassy's encryptor that had an interesting habit of
>> leaking the unencrypted data at a lower level on to the
>> encrypted data channel, all the spies had to do was filter
>> off the encrypted data to pick up the unencrypted information.
>
> Sorry, but I really can't let you get away with quoting  "Spycatcher" as
> a reference. 8)

for what it is worth, ross quotes this story (the UK prime minister
ordering surveillance on the french embassy during negotiations
about EEC entrance) and cites "Spycatcher" as the reference.
he goes on to say that "this is more common than one might
suppose; there has been more than one case of a cipher
machine broadcasting in clear on radio frequencies, though
often there is reason to suspect that the vendor's government
was aware of this."

-paul