Thanx for the thoughtful response.  It appears that we've got a good group
of people on the list.

I would still venture that in most implementations, firewalls provide a
superset of a router's functionality, because they look at packets,
determine source/destination, and send the data on their merry way (within
the context of a security policy, of course).  In addition, a firewall can
perform NAT.  I look at my firewalls as routers with a cool GUI alternative
to router ACLs, and a kick-ass L3+ state table.  You know, similar to the
argument that Unix is DOS on steroids (OK, OK, belay my last!).  =8O

I also stand behind my assertion that it's the firewall's *obligation*
(whether or not you take advantage of it) to be able to communicate routes
about which it *solely* has knowledge (sorry if the manufacturers "cringe"
while facing that responsibility!).  In my case, I have VPN gear and frame
relay routers hanging off a second DMZ.  Many of you probably are using your
firewalls to terminate VPN tunnels.  Aside from the easy cases, such as
single-user aggressive-mode clients to whom you dole out IPs from a
well-known pool (you probably have statics already in place in your internal
routing environment), wouldn't you like to know when a branch office comes
up?  What about when the same branch decides to pop up on a different
gateway?  I'll venture that no one will fault me for wanting to firewall all
of these types of connections, yet no one seems to think that the internal
network needs to know how to reach hosts at the end of these connections?
Perhaps I'm the only one trying to leave static-ville...

Ideally, resources accessed by those connection types would be isolated, but
that's simply not feasible for some resources (eg. a 2nd instance of our SAP
environment would be *very* expensive to provide, and my sanity would be
further questioned, but I digress...).  BTW, how can *I* own my very own
"Phillips hammer?"

Dave Row
CCNA, MCSE, CCSA
Senior Network Analyst