On 17 Mar 2012, at 15:56, Stanley N Salthe wrote:

Bruno -- As an idealist, I think you have it all backward!

I am not an idealist. Just a logician and an inquirer. I show that if you believe in a sufficient amount of arithmetic, and in the assumption that your (generalized) brain(*) is Turing emulable, then it follows that the mind body problem is two times more difficult to solve: not only you need some theory of mind, but you have to derive the beliefs in matter from it. I don't pretend this is obvious. The key notion is the notion of 1- indeterminacy, which makes machines unable to know which universal machine computes them among an infinity of machines.

I have no clue about the truth. I assume mechanism, that is: the invariance of my consciousness through the digital functional substitution of my parts at some description level. I show that it needs some revision in ... theology (to be short).

It makes mechanism also scientifically testable, by deriving physics from machine't theology (the argument shows that physics is uniquely defined), and compare with nature.

(*) The generalized brain is the portion of the physical universe that you have to emulate to get the existence of your consciousness relatively perpetuated. It exists by the comp assumption.

I would argue that cardinal numbers are the most 'crisp' entities that we know, and this disqualifies them or being primeval.

It is not just the number, but their additive and multiplicative structure. It is Turing complete. In fact any first order logical specification of a Turing complete structure will do. Consciousness and matter does not depend on the choice of the initial universal system in the theory. I use numbers only because most people are familiar with them.

That is, I think it makes sense to see all developments as beginning relatively vaguely and then becoming more definite over time. So, then, it will have taken these numbers a very long period of evolution (passing through the 'real' stage) to have become as definite as they are now. Or, even if cardinal numbers became quite crisp at the time, say, of the origin of chemistry, that too will have been a long way from primeval.

I can explain why numbers are confronted to the continuum, indeed also the physical.
The problem is that it is a long reasoning.
I don't want to impose anything, and certainly not the "truth" of mechanism, just the point that mechanism and materialism are not compatible, and if we bet on mechanism, the mind-body problem is transformed into a precise, but complex, problem in machine's theology, itself branch of number theory and metamathematics.

I am not sure that anything I say should change your interest or that it would contradict most posts here. What I am saying concerns the fundamental matter. There, in soccer game language, I would sum by Aristotle 0, Plato 1. But it is not the last match, and it changes only the global picture.

I share many intuitions here, and with INBIOSA, even if I start from what might seems a bit revulsing to many: discrete integers and number- crunching machines, but by taking into account the 1-view/3-view distinction, that we can partially formalise for machine, we can understand that we might have just been guilty of having developed a reductionist conception of numbers and machines.

Arithmetic is not just full of life. Angels, goddesses, and other oracles are also at play :)

Bruno