Dear Pedro and Colleague,

On 27 Feb 2017, at 17:39, Pedro C. Marijuan wrote:

Dear Arturo and colleagues,

Very interesting piece, indeed. It has strongly reminded me Teilhard de Chardin's views on the Omega Point of cosmic maximal complexity-- although this was for him not a pessimistic outcome but a brilliant and up-beating prospect for all humankind. His eclectic views were bitterly rejected by most of the scientific and religious establishment of his time (no wonder that particularly by evolutionary biologists); but the arrival of Internet, as well as today's multi-level selection approaches, and the works of some quantum information scientists (Tipler, Deutsch) have vindicated his brave, Quixotic figure. Late Popes of the Catholic Church (Benedict XVI) have also vindicated his whole intellectual legacy.

My favorite de Chardin's proposition is, from memory:

"We are not human beings having spiritual experiences, we are spiritual beings having human experiences.

That is close to the theology of the neopytagorean Moderatus of Gades, and close to the neoplatonist Plotinus, Porphyry, ... And they are formally close to the "theology" of the universal numbers. (and even intuitively so assuming the computationalist hypothesis in cognitive science, through sequence of thought experiences).

It reminds me also of Shrî Aurobindo, when he said:

"What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?

And it is this ...
Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably"

Tipler and Deutsch defend Everett "many-worlds", but computationalism per se shows that very elementary arithmetic determines a web of dreams, from which the physical reality is a sort of limiting projection. Everett quantum mechanics (the usual minus the wave packet reduction) confirms somehow the internal (canonical) web of dreams interpretation of arithmetic.

I have some minor problems with the present essay, but substituting some of the excessively teleological "purposive" terms about life (perhaps all of them?), and using instead a more austere description of organizational facts.... who knows! If life contains a unitary principle, I think it is more subtle, and cannot be expressed in unilateral physical terms

Provably so if we assume mechanism. Contrarily to a widely spread opinion: mechanism is not compatible with even quite weak form of materialism, or physicalism.

such as maximum entropy production, symmetry restoration, free energy maximization, etc. Well, symmetry and information have more clout and hidden complexity, so I express not a rejection but some uneasiness regarding too direct "orthogenetic" views on biological and social evolution.

My further suggestion --could it be a good idea that you change Monod's style "unpleasantness" (Oh, we the accidental discover that we are alone in the cosmos!) and point towards some of Teilhard's and Vernadsky's noosphere and the Omega Point? You would have several curious items to choose...

More opinions??

God created the natural numbers, and saw that it was good.

Then she said: add yourself, and saw that is was good.

Then she said: multiply yourself. And then ... she said: oops, ... and lose control.

Like the complexity of the prime numbers distribution already illustrates, the logicians know that classical logic + addition of integers + multiplication of integers leads to the Church-Turing Universality of the reality under concern, "generating *all* universal numbers, and they know that the universal machines, or universal numbers put a lot of mess in Plato Heaven. The price of universality is loss of controllability, and the appearances of realms defying all complete theories.

The physical reality is the border of the arithmetical reality "seen from inside (by the universal numbers)". The breaking of symmetries are in the universal mind, like the symmetries themselves. The universal mind is the mind common to all universal numbers. ("universal" always taken in the Church-Turing-Kleene-Post-Markov sense).

The "god" of the machine (the relatively locally finite being) seems to be like a universal baby playing hide and seek with itself.

I doubt we are alone in the probable apparent Cosmos that we can observe, but we are not alone in Arithmetic, provably so if you assume Digital Mechanism (a thesis equivalent with the belief that consciousness is invariant for some recursive permutations).

Best wishes to you, and all,

Bruno

Best wishes to all--Pedro