On 24/03/17 18:24, Karl Javorszky wrote:

1) Let me second to the point Alex raises:
machines, computers, do exchange information. It would be against cultural conventions to say that the notification that the refrigerator sends to your phone's app "to-do-list" of the content "milk only 0.5 liter available" is not an information.

The signals my car's pressure sensor sends to my dashboard, saying "tire pressure front right wheel is critically low" is a clear case of information, whether I read it or not.

This is a good point, and worthy of our attention. But in this case of 'information', cultural conventions are tremendously confused and contradictory. I do not think that we will achieve a coherent theory of information without violating some of them.

I'd argue that a deep cultural convention, or perhaps human tendency, is a bias towards reification over the description of processes. Perhaps some of the tangles around 'information' are the result of trying to understand phenomena by means of the qualities of things, rather than elucidating the dynamics of a process? If so, any resolution will certainly be against cultural conventions.

Dai

Professor David (Dai) Griffiths
Professor of Education
School of Education and Psychology