Dear FIS Colleagues,

The leisure time of vacations is over and it would be time to reassume the list exchanges. There were several interesting sessions which had been planned for this new course, but unfortunately none of them seems possible in a short term. In order that these "dry" months --even previous to the IS4SI conference-- come to an end, let me request the involvement of FIS parties, either volunteering for session chairs or suggesting interesting new themes & parties for future sessions. At the time being my personal capability to produce new sessions seems rather low...

Anyhow, as a means to break the ice of this new course I have revisited some notes I took during a very fertile round table coordinated by Yixin Zhong on "ecologies of knowledge" in the Gotheborg IS4SI meeting. I have realized that with some tweaking a short list of, say "10 principles for information science", was emerging. Could this rather idiosyncratic stuff be tolerable for the high diversity of points of view in FIS? Maybe not. But at least I hope it will support some lively discussion.

In order to have some operativity, I will post the principles this Friday, and then the comments will fly or not... Well, I had initially thought that each principle could have an initial commentator (just based on my terribly subjective views). To list them: Marcin (for princ. 1), Jerry (2), Gordana (3), Terry (4), Stan (5), Soeren (6), Tozzi (7), Yixin (8), Loet (9), Howard (10). Probably this is rather complex, so after some rounds of general comments on the whole scheme we will see whether this detailed analysis can be performed or not.

Best wishes to all,

--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta 0