Hi Fisers,

I agree.

Communication may be the key concept in developing a theory of informaton.

Just as it is impossible to define what energy is without defining the
thermodynamic system under consideration (e.g., energy is conserved only in an
isolated system and not in closed or open systems; the Gibbs free energy
content decreases only when a spontaneous process  occurs in non-isolsted
systems with a constant temperature and pressure, etc), so it may be that
'information' cannot be defined rigorously without  first defining the
"communication system" under consideration.   If this analogy is true, we can
anticipate that, just as there are many different kinds of energies depending
on the characteristics of the thermodynamic systems involved, so there may be
many different kinds of 'informations' depending on the nature of the
communication systems under consideration.

The properties or behaviors of all thermodynamic systems depend on their
environment, and there are three  system-environment relations -- (i) isolated
(e.g., the Universe, or the thermos bottle), (ii) closed (e.g., refriegerator),
and (iii) open (e.g., the biosphere, living cells).

It is interesting to note that, all communication systems (e.g., cell, organs,
animals, humans) may embody ITR (Irreducible Triadic Relation) which I  found
it convenient to represent diagramamatically using a 3-node network arrows as
shown below:

                                             f                   g

                                    A ---------->  B --------->  C
                                     |                                       ^
                                     |__________________|

Figure 1.  The Irreducible Triadic Relation (ITR) of C. S. Peirce (1839-21914)
represented as a 3-node,  closed and directed network.  The arrows  form the
commutative triangle of category theory, i.e., operations f followed by g leads
to the same result as operation h, here denoted as fxg = h.

f = information production; g = information interpretation; h = correspondence
or information flow.   Please note that Processes f and g are driven by
exergonic physicochemical processes, and h requires a pre-existing code or
language that acts as the rule of mapping A and C.

Again, just as generations of thermodynamicists in the 19-20th centuries have
defined various kinds of "energies" (enthalpy, Helmholtz free energy, Gibbs
free energy) applicable to different kinds of thermodynamic systems, so
'information scientists' of the 21st century  may have the golden opportunity
to define as many kinds of 'informations' as needed for the different kinds of
"communcation systems" of their interest, some examples of which being
presented in Table 1.

Table 1.  A 'parametric' definition of information based on the values of the
three nodes
                of the ITR, Figure 1.

Communication system               A                      B
(Information)

Cells                                                 DNA/RNA        Proteins
                  Chemcal reactions
(Biological informations)
                            or chemical waves

Humans                                            Sender            Message
              Receiver
(Linguistic informations)

Signs                                                  Object
Representamen        Interpretant
(Semiotic informations, or

'Universal informations' (?))

With all the best.