Dear Jose Javier,

Thank you very much for your constructive response to my note. I respect your
view of Luhmann and his constructivism (?), which you have certainly correctly
summarized in a few words.

However, what the Lupasco theory of actuality and potentiality does is to offer
some ontological basis for both, grounded in physics and is hence in my opinion
hence worthy of some modicum of our attention. It is possible to talk about
reality without the pretty little diagrams and calculus of Spencer-Brown.

Luhmann talks about the "constant interplay" between actual and potential,
their ineinanderstehen, but there is no functional relation to the mundane
properties of real physical systems. As Loet showed at the time, Luhmannian
structures can be defined analytically, but that is not enough for me. And  a
key point: why 'constant' interplay? Is there something wrong, or is it just
too real, to include discontinuities as equally important as continuities?

It should be clear that I completely disagree with the place given to Luhmann
in current thought. Luhmann perhaps deserves some historical credit for basing
his theory on information. However, I follow Christian Fuchs who said in 2006
that "The function of Luhmann's theory for society is that it is completely
useless".

Society does not "contain" human beings: society is a group of human beings
composed of individuals and the group and their contradictorial relations and
dynamics. Luhmann stated that the "ground of being" is at the same time
actuality and potentiality, but tells us nothing about their nature and rules
for their evolution. Meaning cannot be a unity of actualization and
potentialization (or re- and re-). In unity, the two lose their necessary
specificity and basis for change. Luhmann took human beings as agents out of
his system, and replaced them with abstractions. Fascist ideology is not far
away.

If people would spend 1/20 the time on Lupasco that they do on Pierce and
Luhmann, . . .

Best regards,

Joseph