[I forgot to Cc the mailing list with this, so sorry about the duplicate message, Bryan.]

Since the hash mark # seems to simply start a comment in fish, it needs to be escaped in order to allow the command to use it. Otherwise your command would end up being something like lpr -, which makes sense that it would be unrecognized.

Is there an issue with either using lpr -\# copiesĀ or lprĀ "-#" copies for your command? Either one seems to produce the same response as bash does with lpr -# copies.

It seems from what I can tell that bash only begins a comment when the hash mark # begins a "word", or rather, has a space/newline before it, while fish will begin a comment with any unescaped unquoted hash.

---
Daniel Barnes