On Apr 2, 2014, at 1:16 PM, SanskritFritz <sanskritfr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM, Kevin Ballard <ke...@sb.org> wrote:
>> What's the correct way to restart fishd after building and installing a new
>> version of fish? If I `killall fishd` all my terminal windows start spewing
>> data about not being able to connect, and also emit 2 lines about attempting
>> to restart fishd and not having it work. I also tried `killall fishd; and
>> fishd` and that didn't work either. In the end I've been quitting and
>> relaunching Terminal.app after installing a new fish just to ensure all my
>> shells are properly connected back to fishd.
>>
>> But surely the active developers don't restart every instance of fish on
>> their system when installing a new version, right?
>
> Simply exit fish, then fishd automatically exits too. Check it with ps
> -ef | grep fish

At any given time I have at least half a dozen fish instances running (because
I have a bunch of Terminal windows open at all times). This is why I mentioned
quitting & relaunching Terminal.app. But it would be nice if there was a way to
fix this without taking that step.

I do recognize that if fishd changes significantly, starting up the new fishd
with an old version of fish trying to talk to it may not work, but I’m guessing
that fishd doesn’t actually change that often, and that when it does change,
it’s even less common for the change to be backwards-incompatible.

-Kevin