On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Greg Reagle <greg.rea...@umbc.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 02:13 PM, Siteshwar wrote:
> > It is a known issue
> > https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/563
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> The syntax error that I reported is a known issue at
> https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/761.  Looks like it was
> fixed 23 days ago.
>
> As far as I can tell, Issue 563 is easily worked around, in certain
> cases, by calling another fish shell, for example any one of:
>     fish -c 'begin; sleep 2; and ls; end' &
>     echo 'begin; sleep 2; and ls; end' | fish &
>     fish < script-file &
>     fish script-file &
>     ./executable-script &
>
> where script-file contains
>     begin; sleep 2; and ls; end
> where executable-script contains
>     #!/usr/bin/fish
>     begin; sleep 2; and ls; end
> and is executable.
>
> For a function, you need to funcsave it before calling another fish
> shell.
>
> Is my assessment correct?  Would it be a good idea to add it to the bug
> report for Issue 563?

If you fork a new fish process it will have different environment then it's
parent process for e.g. local and global variables which are not exported
are not available to new fish process. So this approach may or may not work
depending on user requirements. You can add it to the bug report if you
like.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class