This message is from: "Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't think it is just tradition in the Fjord world. it is the dichotomy
between "natural" (by which I am not referring to style of horsemanship)
presentation often found in the mountain and Moorland breeds among others
(like my Friesian for instance) and the more artificial presentation of the
(what I call a ) hack.

Traditionally the "classy" animals used by "Ladies & Gentleman" for riding
or driving were groomed, clipped, prettied up with in an inch of their
lives as appearance was the name of the game, but the "working" horses (or
semi wild) didn't have time for that rubbish.

So our modern show horses whether they be hacks or hackneys follow that
artificial tradition and the older breeds don't. The other thing of course
was that as a lot of the hot breeds are not as naturally hairy you passed
off a "common" animal by clipping off any offending hair around fetlocks
etc.

I was always taught never to trim off the whiskers on the muzzle and round
the eyes for exactly that reason, they help the feel where things are, but
the excess winter fuzz is a different thing all together and you trim that
for the comfort of the horse, which includes not standing around dripping
wet for hours after work. And those goofy bits that some of them grow out
of their ears! My TB mare, who is not a hairy beast at all will grow these
huge long tufts out of her ears, and I can't see what earthly good the do,
so trim them off level with the edge of her ear. The hacks here usually
have their ears trimmed totally bald inside.

How to the Fjords in the warmer climes cope? Do they not grow as thick
winter coats as the ones that actually experience winter, or do they still
go the whole hog in defiance of the temperature?

Lynn