This message is from: "Ursula & Brian Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear List from Brian Jensen;
       I can thank Pat Holland for her comments on composite scoring
regarding Conformation and Performance. The challenges of our original
Evaluation committee was to find and design a system of scoring which
assisted owners and breeders in selecting future breeding stock for their
mares or stallions. Aside from the formal portion of the Evaluation of
scoring for Conformation, is the Educational aspect for the owners,
breeders, and other interested individuals. There is a comments portion at
the bottom used by the Evaluators to make observations which would not be
covered in other areas. These comments are usually of an educational nature.
Education, knowledge, and information helps informed individuals make better
decisions. It was decided at that time to separate Conformation and
Temperament into their own categories.
      Ruthie mentioned that any form of an Evaluation is better than
nothing. I agree. The NFHR Evaluation Program has always been a work in
progress, and is open to new ideas or changes. In addressing the Temperament
issue on where to place it in the Evaluation Program; I can tell you it was
thoroughly discussed when the Evaluation Program was designed. The word
Conformation has a specific definition about how the Fjord is put together
which is called phenotype. This is what you see when looking at the Fjord.
                    The Word Temperament is paramount to me as an Evaluator
of Norwegian Fjords. The Performance Section of the Evaluation is all about,
and for Temperament. The Fjord horse is known world wide for its mind or
temperament. This is what sets this horse apart from others. Each section of
the Performance Test is looking at temperament and tractability. The various
tests of Riding, Driving, and Draft, evaluate the Fjords abilities and
temperament. As well these tests recognize and support the versatility of
the breed. When we designed the Performance Tests we recognized that it was
not necessary to reinvent the wheel. The Evaluation Committee of that time
looked to established tests in ADS, AHSA, FEI, and other known European
designs.
            The thinking here was, that we could provide training and
feedback for the Fjord and handler to improve themselves, grow and enjoy the
fjord in its respective disciplines. As well, the mind or temperament of the
fjord is Evaluated through the Performances of the various disciplines.
        In summary, the NFHR Evaluation Program provides an educational and
informative Conformation set of scores and comments on Phenotype. In the
Performance portion through the discipline tests it observes the Fjords mind
in Riding, Driving, and Draft. The Performance Tests have two levels called
Introductory and Advanced. These two levels represent a ladder of learning
and training for the handler and the Fjord. Composite scoring assists the
owner/breeder in making informed decisions for the future.
         The NFHR and its membership of Fjords and people have benefited in
a positive way from the Evaluation Program.
          Brian Jensen
Box 1032
Lumby, B.C. Canada
V0E 2G0