This message is from: Starfire Farm <starfiref...@usa.net>

Eric Kozowski wrote:

>Raising horses, especially right now, is not a money making proposition.

This is very true, unless you are willing to put a lot of money into
marketing and are willing to sell just about any horse to just about
anybody, which we are not.

>These is a glut of horses on the market right now and even well trained
>horses (not necessarily Fjords) can be had for under $2000.

I agree with the "not necessarily Fjords" statement. The AQHA  January
8, 2008  news item states that they registered it's /five/ /millionth/
quarter horse. That's 5,000,000.  The Quarter Horse industry has been
one of the major contributors to the glut of horses in the market in
this country. And I mean INDUSTRY. The AQHA actually /sold/ the rights
to the registration number for the 5,000,000th horse! According to
Wikipedia, as of Feb 17, 2009, more than 132,000 Morgan Horses have been
registered. Compare that to the NFHR recently registering it's 6,000th
Fjord and I think that we can reasonably ask more than $500 to $2,000.00
for a well-trained horse. ///
/

>At even the big auctions, like Billings, nicely trained horses were
>going for $500-$2000.  Colts were bringing $50-$250.  Hermiston was
>about the same.

Mostly Quarter Horses, I presume.

>Horses are luxury items (unless you're a professional cowboy) and people
>are cutting way back on spending on luxury items.

Of course. Responsible breeders that I know have been cutting back for a
couple of years now, breeding either 1 or 2 (or none -like us)
offspring, which is a far cry from the "Animal Multipliers" (as Wayne
Hipsley likes to call them) who don't take quality and the market into
consideration when breeding animals. And, we don't sell our horses to
just anyone. We try very hard to match the right horse with a
proapective client. Therefore, sometimes we DO hang onto them longer
than is economical, but do so for the benefit of both horse and new owner.

If the initial post had mentioned that younger or (very) green started
horses were acceptable, I may not have put fingers to the keyboard. As I
read it, the implication was the need for tolerant, trained horses (what
I presume to be a suitable horse for a lesson program.)

Beth

--
Starfire Farm
Beth Beymer and Sandy North