This message is from: Starfire Farm <starfiref...@usa.net>

Tripping can be the result of a number of things:

The rider's balance over the horse's front legs;
A lazy horse;
An inattentive horse;
A tense horse;
A horse that has not been warmed up well enough;
A horse lacking hindquarter/loin strength;
A horse that is not supple;
A horse not ridden/driven in proper balance;
A horse falling through the inside shoulder on a circle;
Incorrect farrier work;
An orthopedic condition that requires veterinary diagnosis/attention.

These could be in combination, or the result of only one condition, but it happens. Tripping in a horse that does not do this normally can indicate arthritic changes, onset of navicular disease or just sore feet.

I currently have a Fjord in training that would habitually trip at the beginning of a warm-up session. The training goal for this horse is to improve his collection in dressage, eventually teaching him piaffe, passage and all of the other "goodies" that go along with that here. He could be a bit tense (just a little) until he warmed up. He was also used to carrying his rider over his left shoulder (the position that was the rider's habit), therefore he would tense his left shoulder/back to try to ease the discomfort (essentially protect himself from pain.) This horse would actually look like he was lame when trotting, but he was just trying to cope with his out-of-balance rider, which eventually turned into a pattern of uneven/unlevel trot steps.

Working through collected exercises, both in-hand and under saddle, has helped this horse develop strength and balance that he did not have previously. In addition, my farrier and I have been "problem solving" his front limb movement and ended up setting his shoes back a bit (not a "natural" trim, but has the same effect without shaving away and weakening the hoof wall, which is what happens in this neck of the woods) which seems to have helped. Long warm-up sessions and frequent breaks during his work sessions have also helped. He is much stronger in his hindquarters (like...Buns of Steel!) and is now a blast to ride in both collection, medium and working towards extended gaits.

Hope this helps.

Beth