This message is from: Jane Brackett <donj...@fairpoint.net>

> So, according to my vet, if it is not
>> in the joint, it's probably inherited. Folks, I truly think this is an
>> "issue"
>> with this breed.

Would be interesting to see.  My mare Osa is related to Idelle (both King
Harald and Gjestar in common), and at 18 is sound and well.  She's our "go to"
horse.  Fingers crossed,  it would be so sad to retire her!

Another possibly inherited trait that I've wondered about is Cushings.  Geilo
(Eggeprins, MVF Stine), our not quite 19 year old gelding, has cushings.  The
difference in the two fjords is huge.  Several years ago it was hard to tell
them apart at a quick glance.  Now Geilo looks OLD.  Long shaggy dull hair
coat, grumpy, tired, sweaty.  It's a bear of a disease.  Yes, the peroglide
helps, but it's expensive, the ACTH tests are expensive, luckily he's not had
any signs of laminitis and is improving, also luckily his insulin numbers have
remained at a normal level.  But still not fun.  No lameness - no signs of
ringbone.

On a cheerful note, there are two Fjord mares in Albion Maine, each with an
adorable foal.  Are you on the list? I'd not seen Fjords at this farm before
this summer

Jane
Maine