This message is from: "Beth & Sandy - Starfire Farm" <starfiref...@usa.net>

First of all, Beth M., thank you for vaccinating your mare! I can't
believe, after all of the rabies exposure we had on the Front Range in
Colorado this spring that your barn-mates have not had their horses
vaccinated! Shari MacCallum's Fjord gelding, Starfire Finlay, contracted
rabies from a "presumably" dead skunk that she found in her pasture. The
horse was dead 3 weeks later and she, her entire family and at least 10
veterinarians/vet techs had to receive the prophylactic treatment
(several thousand dollars just for her alone.) At least she is alive. He
was in the prime of his life...they had performed in the Stock Show with
us in January and in the Expo with us in March. She was having a blast
with him until this happened. I do not blame Shari, for she did not know
that her horses required annual rabies vaccinations in order to be
protected. Finlay had been vaccinated two years prior and was due for
re-vaccination when he was exposed. It could have just as easily been a
horse or horses in my herd, as I had a rabid skunk on my property around
the same time (in the vicinity of my paddocks and arena) that I captured
and had tested. My dogs were exposed (they had been lightly sprayed but
presumably were not bitten and were up to date on their vaccinations).
Luckily, my horses were not but I couldn't be too sure. I was just lucky.
We did re-boost the dogs and cats (recommended by my vet and the state
veterinarian) and I vaccinated my entire herd that week, but I kept a
very watchful eye for several weeks afterward for any unusual
behavior/signs. I was very worried. It doesn't take a bite to transfer
the disease. All it takes is exposure to saliva/blood/bodily fluids. This
could be through open skin, etc. The best guess regarding Finlay's
exposure is that he must have mouthed or nosed the skunk, as they could
not find any puncture wounds on him anywhere. The skunk may have already
been dead or dying, no one knows because Shari found it dead in her
pasture. I "ditto" what Robin Churchill wrote...all of this would not
have happened if her horse had been vaccinated this year. This is serious
business. Don't think that, because we can vaccinate dogs and cats every
few years, that you can vaccinate your horse the same way. Horses have to
be vaccinated annually in order to be protected. It's very inexpensive if
you give them yourself. Even if your vet has to give it in your area, the
cost comparison between giving a vaccine and you receiving prophylactic
treatment is nil. If your horse contracts it, it will die. We had rabid
skunks and foxes all over our area this spring. There was report after
report of skunks attacking dogs, cats, breaking into houses through
windows (seriously!), fox and skunks chasing horses...seriously! Rabies
has been moving towards the Front Range in Colorado for several years.
Last year it was in eastern Colorado and eastern Adams County. Once we
heard the first report of it being found west of I-25, this spring it was
too late for Finlay. Such a sad deal! And we in our society have become
so complacent that there were no reports in the local news until at least
two months after Finlay died. The first news report I heard was on NPR
national news! Not our local news. Unbelievable, since if you contract
rabies, you die. End of story. I have told all of my friends that I know
that it will be moving into their area...even those on the other side of
the divide. It is just a matter of time. I have yet to see a problem with
giving the vaccine to my horses, dogs or cats. So, those of you out there
who are in the more arid areas, don't wait. You just never know when that
rabid skunk, fox, possum, cat, bat, whatever...will end up on your
property. Beth www.starfirefarm.com

This message is from: Main Email <divingduoandcor...@comcast.net>

I am the only one at my barn who vaccinates for rabies. We board in a
rural area of Colorado (Morrison) south of area with a significant
increase in rabies...it was found at a horse barn after a feral kitten
was diagnosed with it... after scratching people.