This message is from: "Beth & Sandy - Starfire Farm" <starfiref...@usa.net>

Hello All,

This message is from: "Mary Ofjord" <ma...@boreal.org>

-I believe Anne Appleby's horse "Wez" was shown at Grand Prix level and
possibly Starfire Farm's stallion BDF Obelisk. (Beth can you help me
here?)
(Anne?)
Anne Appleby did show Wez at Grand Prix. In fact, she earned all of her
USDF medals, Bronze, Silver and Gold, on Wez (who is enjoying his
retirement!). I believe Anne is now showing one of her mares at 4th
level.
Thanks for thinking positive Mary, but I have not shown Obie to GP yet.
We have successfully shown through Third Level Test 3, with decent
scores, but though he can piaffe and now perform an admirable passage,
and do piaffe/passage transitions, we are still working on the tempi
changes. If we can get those by next year (right...I can dream, right?)
you should see Obie at the FEI levels. Maybe (or not) It's not because he
is not able...he most certainly is! I just don't have the drive to show
that gets me to sit at the computer and fill out all of those forms to
enter the shows.  Besides, I am always getting side-tracked by doing
things like driving a 4 in Hand in the Rose Parade... ;-)
But, I do not agree with Ms. von Dietze's statement. One should never
make a blanket statement about any breed. I do agree that it is more
difficult with horses that are not built "for dressage"...or shall we
say, for competitive dressage... as dressage horses are being bred for
specifically today.
However, a blanket statement saying that Fjords can't bend at the poll
simply isn't true. I have Fjords here, even those with thick, heavy necks
and throatlatches, that can flex at the poll better than many
thoroughbreds and even warmbloods I have ridden! Conversely, I have some
Fjords that have lovely, light throatlatches and long necks but they just
don't care to bend at the poll. In fact, you can watch them running
around in the pasture and pick out the ones that like to flex at the poll
and the ones that like to keep their noses sticking out. The results can
be surprising.
Having said that, there are a few factors to take into consideration. One
is that a Fjord generally has a much stronger neck than the lighter
breeds. Once a Fjord learns to use it's neck strength to push the bit,
you have quite a chore to convince him not to do so. Breeds with lighter,
less strong necks, can be "muscled" into giving in. It is easier to
"hold" them in position without fatiguing the rider (which is still much
of the "dressage" riding/training that one sees). One cannot muscle a
Fjord into submission...they are too smart! Tact, which should be used in
all horsemanship, is much more successful with Fjords. Riding a horse "to
the release" is, to me, what is ideal.
Another factor is that the more talented riders, riders that have
independent seats and don't balance on the reins, if they have
competitive goals are just not going to be riding a Fjord to get the
higher scores at the higher levels. Face it, a Fjord just isn't going to
get the good scores in the gaits that the specially bred "dressage"
horses are going to get, no matter how good that Fjord's gaits are.
And, Fjords have to have a lot of stamina and a great work ethic to
complete a GP test. I have worked with and trained quite a number of
Fjords now and some bloodlines and/or individuals don't have the energy
and drive to continually train at the FEI level. Which isn't a bad
thing...not everyone wants a Fjord with that kind of drive! Some are
better suited to working all day pulling a plow, or carry someone or pack
something over a mountain. Long, slow, distance work. A Grand Prix test
requires a high level of continuous energy, with extra bursts of
contained and sustained energy throughout the test. Not all horses are up
to that...in any breed!
Even if they have that drive, if one wants to reach the goal of competing
at GP on a Fjord, it will take a lot of work to keep that horse fit
enough to complete the test well. Anne told me that she had a girl take
Wez out for gallops during the week just to help keep him fit enough to
complete the GP tests during the show season. I do worry that, as Obie
gets older (he is 18 this year, can you believe it?) he won't be able to
maintain the stamina to complete a GP test.
So, that's my opinion in a nutshell. Unfortunately for those of us with
"ordinary" horses in dressage competition, "Dressage" horses are getting
better and better and the scores reflect that. Therefore, sad to say that
I think it is going to get harder and harder for a Fjord ...or ordinary
horses...to get competitive scores at the FEI levels as the judges see
more and more horses in the ring that are specifically bred for the
sport. As for other ponies, I find that the specialized "dressage ponies"
that are being bred is also unfortunate for the "ordinary horse." But
that is the market.
The Fjord breed has always changed with the market. That is why it is
important that we, in our Evaluation system and in breeding for the
future, maintain recognition and preservation of what is commonly
referred to as "three types" or three body/use types of Fjords.
Work/heavy, Classical/medium and lighter/Sport to maintain diversity and
breed health.
Beth
This message is from: Caroline Warren <caroline.war...@att.net>

I've subscribed to Dressage Today for about 8 years now, and finally they
featured a fjord in their "Clinic" section (p. 28). Suzanne von Dietze,
the
clinician, wasn't too kind to our breed, saying that fjords aren't
competing
at Grand Prix level and because of their "short necks" find it difficult
bend at the poll. I don't know whether fjords have been shown at Grand
Prix
level--I seem to remember one that has, but I've seen many fjords that
bend
nicely at the poll.

I would like to see more fjords, and other ponies for that matter,
presented
in articles in Dressage today. The magazine has good information but has
become rather elitist in my opinion. I'd like to know what other fjord
owners think about this article, especially those active in dressage
showing.

Caroline Warren
Chico Ca