it actually is complicated.  the libFLAC api is not suited to a
multithreaded design because the i/o is stream-based, not file-
based.  flac(.exe) is the file-based wrapper around libFLAC that
allows it to work on files.  the way libFLAC buffers data is also
impossible to parallelize without significantly changing the api.

it would take a specialty file-based encoder using an independent
frame encoder to do and even that is not trivial.