There is not support for using the Flex Framework in an AS only project. While it is theoretically possible, you would have to manually bootstrap a lot of the application initialization code that Flex handles (something which would be rather complex).

If you want to play with the framework, but don't want to layout your app with mxml, then the easier way is to create a simple mxml file that contains an application tag, and a script tag that then points to your code.

This way, the application tag will take care of all of the initialization, and you can then leverage the framework via ActionScript.

If you just want to use ActionScript and no framework, then mxmlc will also compile an .as file.

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

[EMAIL PROTECTED]