So you check for null before executing the script:

addEventListener( Event.ENTER_FRAME, onEnterFrameHandler, false, 0, true );
var mc:MovieClip;
function onEnterFrameHandler( event:Event ):void{
     mc=_items.getChildByName("item2");
     if( mc ){
         removeEventListener( Event.ENTER_FRAME, onEnterFrameHandler );
         //do your code here

Warm Regards
Deepanjan Das
W: http://deepanjandas.wordpress.com
|| Om Manasamarthadata Shri Aniruddhaya Namah ||

*"Think of the environment before printing this email"*