On 1/10/12 3:58 PM, "Rick Winscot" <rick.wins...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As an example, what will happen if Adobe keeps cranking out Flash Builder
> versions? Do committers get a free copy - or will they be expected to pay for
> it themselves? At the summit, there was no question that Adobe was going to
> keep releasing the IDE (at least that's what they said). If the expectation is
> that we keep step with advancements / fixes... who _should_ pay for that
> connective tissue?
You will have to pay for the new version of any tool you use that isn't
free.  Keep in mind that the Flex SDK should never require any particular
tool in order to use it or develop for it (well, other than Subversion).

> If Adobe isn't going to help out with licenses... and committers can't keep
> up-to-date - what of their status? Will they be dropped from the list?
Folks who don't make contributions before we graduate to TLP may get removed
from the committers list and PMC, but my understanding is that after that,
once a committer, always a committer and you will commit as time and money
allows you.

> Adobe has said that they will donate people resources - what other resources
> are they offering? If an email over a t-shirt as an award has everyone pissing
> and moaning... I'm a little concerned if we hit a bigger bump in the road.
Adobe is only donating people and code.  Hopefully that will be enough.  I
don't see the need for money (other than trying to get Adobe to make a cash
donation to Apache in general).  Again, people will do what time and money
allows them to.

> I get the feeling that people hear 'non-profit' and immediately think that
> _everything_ is free / donated... perhaps in some cases it can be - but even
> Apache has a 'sponsorship' page that details where 'monetary contributions'
> are spent. I'm sure that they have rules for money handling - what 503(c)
> organization doesn't? ...but non-profit doesn't mean you don't make money. It
> just means that at the end of the year you're expected to show a zero-balance
> in your bank account.
I'm on the board of a non-profit, and the rules do not dictate that you have
a zero balance in your bank account.  It does constrain ways you can add to
the bank account though.

> Johnathan Campos - Apache Flex wants to have a conference in San Francisco on
> the first anniversary of the project. Since you're on the commiters list...
> you'll be donating your time - pro-bono. Oh... and btw - the conference can't
> make a dollar because it's non-profit. Oh... and btw - Adobe didn't agree to
> supporting anything like that so... you'll have to come up with sponsorship
> yourself or pay for it out of your own pocket. Oh... and it's possible that
> Apache Flex may not even have anything to release by the conference. Oh...
> and...
If folks are motivated enough to have a conference and play by the rules,
I'm pretty sure they can find a way.  There are Apache Conferences already.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team