On 5/31/05, Rick Bullotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What's the confusion?  Well, since you asked… J
>
> 1)      You can't click on the "Buy" button to buy a FlexBuilder license
> (despite its presence in the dialog – holdover from the Dreamweaver code?)
>
> 2)      You can't "Buy" a MVLP (replacement for DevNet) subscription online
>
> 3)      You don't seem to be able to "Buy" FlexBuilder (or Flex, for that
> matter) online at all…
>

> We'd be perfectly happy to spend some money – there's just no way to easily
> do so! ;)

Flex Builder comes free with a purchase of Flex server -- it is not
sold separately. (I believe you get 5 free licenses of FB or something
like that.) My understanding of the rationale behind it is that Flex
Builder is simply the Dreamweaver MX 2004 code base plus the Flex
extensions, and if you're not using Flex, DW is perfectly
adequate...and for sale. As you suggested, and has been my experience,
Macromedia is superb with accomodating extended trial periods. Just
get in touch with your sales rep and they should be able to take care
of you.

> No big deal – I'm sure the OEM people will get us an eval extension.  We are
> very impressed with Flex and are considering integrating it with some future
> products.  Just wanted to see if we were missing something regarding the
> eval behavior.

Nah, you're not missing anything. They use the same licensing manager
across all their IDEs, and Flex Builder is the only one (that I'm
aware of) where you actually get it for free with the purchase of
another product. I think it's more the lack of desire to write a
re-worked licensing manager, as there would be little reward for it.
But I agree that there is a confusing disconnect.

> Also, FYI, uninstalling Flex is much easier than uninstalling Flex Builder –
> just delete a directory!  Virtually no other "remnants" to worry about…

Flex itself, sure. But my experience has been that many clients only
install JRun for the purpose of running it with Flex (or ColdFusion
for that matter). JRun lays down a bunch of registry keys during the
install process, and, hence, it can be a pain to cleanly uninstall
(it's not very good about getting rid of all its registry keys).

Regards,
Dave.