I'm using a chart component, and I want to implement a drill down that will
overlay the summary chart.  I'm an experienced developer, but new to
Flex/ActionScript.  I'm using the Axiis Datavis Library, although I don't think
it matters for my questions.

I currently have an application with this structure:

ApplicationWindow
--ApplicationControlBar
--Canvas
--ControlBar

If I add a DrillDown Canvas with a transparent background and visual status set
to false, I can update the dataprovider to the appropriate filtered detail and
make it visible in the itemClick handler of the main chart Canvas.  And I can
make it invisible again in the itemClick handler of the drill down canvas.  I'm
thinking like this:

ApplicationWindow
--ApplicationControlBar
--Canvas itemClick="displayDrillDown();"
--DrillDownCanvas visible="false" backgroundAlpha="0"
itemClick="removeDrillDown();"
--ControlBar

But what I'm not sure about, and haven't found any clear tutorial for, is:

* how to ensure that the drilldown canvas size and screen position will be
identical to the main canvas, given potential application window resizing that
the user may have done while it's visible status is false?

* how to ensure that the drilldown canvas is on top of the main canvas, so that
it can intercept click events before they hit the main canvas?  Is it defined
by the declaration order in the MXML code?

* how to allow mouseover events to pass through, if there is no chart element
on the drilldown canvas, so that tooltips will display for chart items on
either canvas -- or even if this is possible?

I appreciate any assistance you can provide, even if it's to tell me that my
approach is all wrong!