If you’ve written a lot of code in ActionScript, writing code in JavaScript can
feel like a regression.  Right now, there are trade-offs in the Flash stack and
the HTML stack.  Adobe is not saying that you should stop writing applications
in Flash/Flex and move to HTML/JS/CSS today.  My summary is that, based on the
recent track record of the HTML/JS/CSS stack, there are a lot of folks doing
great things on that stack, and we are investing in becoming the leading tool
provider for that stack.  That takes time and we are starting now.  Also note
that Google is trying to replace the JS portion of that stack with a structured
programming language.  I would not bet against that eventually happening, but
it is unclear that it will be DART.  The HTML/JS/CSS stack has a lot of people
working on it, and they are working together, and Adobe is joining that party.

Today and tomorrow and for some number of years, Flash and Flex remain the best
solution for a significant number of applications, and Adobe is betting that by
moving Flex to Apache, Flex will enjoy the benefits of a lot of people working
on it, and working together.  The Flash Player will be getting faster and will
have new features, and while most of those will be motivated by the gaming
initiative, some of those improvements will benefit non-games as well.

If you want to be one of the many people working together on Flex, watch for
announcements we hope to make if we get accepted by Apache.

-Alex