This wouldn’t have anything to do with Flex…I’m assuming the XML being returned
just doesn’t have the message element populated, correct?  Or is nothing being
returned?

I’d try a few things before getting all worked up…

1)      If you call the picUpload.cfm from another .cfm module is the XML
output what you expected?

2)      I’d also probably not use the variable name “status”…it’s a pretty
common reserved word in all languages, and since you weren’t scoping the
variable, you might have an issue there anyway…

3)      If not, try hardcoding the XML string with the values to see what you
get back…and be sure not to put line breaks in…

<cfset variables.status = ‘<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
<cfoutput>#variables.status#</cfoutput>

4)      As an aside, if you *must* use CFXML, try setting the returned content
to the text/xml mime type using CFContent right after your cfprocessing
directive:

<cfcontent type="text/xml; charset=utf-8">

5)      You might want to try to convert it to a string, and automatically have
CF prepend the <?xml …> XML declaration:

On a different note…
Why don’t you use CF Remoting and have Flex call a CFC method to do the upload
and return the file name?   We don’t do URLRequests ourselves for security
reasons, and we don’t have issues with CF11 and file uploads.