Thanks for your response Peter, I already have the defaultObjectEncoding set to AMF0 (from Brian Lesser's code):

            NetConnection.defaultObjectEncoding = flash.net.ObjectEncoding.AMF0;
            SharedObject.defaultObjectEncoding   = flash.net.ObjectEncoding.AMF0;

just to be sure I set objectEncoding to AMF0 for the instance that I am using with no effect. If you don't set the objectEncoding you get a NetStatus error with description "objectEncoding error".

Thanks

--
david