Yes, your Flex App needs to be compiled. Not sure how you are running your SWF without an SWF ...

Make sure your Flash SWF is in your Flex project folder. I've also found that you occasionally need to run twice in order for the Flash SWF to be copied to the test location (typically the bin folder).

Change your connection name so that it contains an underscore in front: _swf8connector. Check the docs for why that's important.

Also, if you're interested, I've posted an example of getting a SWF9 and a SWF8 to talk via ExternalInterface. I'll make up another example based on your code.