You can use Application.application to get a reference to the host application. This is the top tier application so if you have nested a stack of SWF's this is the shortest way to get to the top.

parentapplication gets the immediate parent but you can also step up the hierarchy using that property.

Also check out applicationdomain and securitydomain / trustContent to ensure that your applications can talk to each other.

Angus

PS need AS3 apps for above