ben, that worked thanks!

Now to further complicate matters :)

my end goal is that I have 5 combo boxes with filters. Each can be fired off in any order. I'd like to figure out how have one function see the newly filtered data and filter that data further, based on user input. I haven't been able to get my varialbes to match up between XMLList and XML to get it to work.

Here's the flow I'm envisioning. Set my root XML data to a temp var on init. Each function looks at that var, applies the E4X filtering, then saves the new XML to the temp var so that subsequent filters can see that data and filter on it.

Thx!