Hi Barry,

I’m not sure if I can be of much help here. I’m not into PHP, I’m not into FDS and remoting and the AMF protocol that is related to it. For me, but that is totally a personal opinion, the only acceptable solution for communication with a back-end is webservices, and nothing else. Briefly here are my reasons:

  • The coolest thing about Flex is not the graphics ... but that you can make your server stateless, meaning that you obtain 100% fail-over characteristics including linear scalability. With FDS (or any other related solution) you highly likely lose this ‘feature’ and my guess is that scalability will be tougher to achieve; for sure it is harder to guarantee ... with a stateless server solution you can. And we always want to grow with our applications, don’t we???
  • I like to keep my Flex layer totally independent of my back-end layer. My back-end layer should not be aware by any means of the client technology. With webservices you realize this. With FDS (or any other related solution) you get a vendor lock-in, which I consider undesirable.
  • The trend in my business is that more and more you get projects only for a front-end or back-end solution. In the past it occurred more that you had to build them together, but that is changing. It’s very acceptable to request a back-end to expose its operations through webservices. It’s not very accetable to request them to expose it via FDS or something like that.

To be fair, there are some disadvantages using web services as well; among others:

  • No automatic conversion of the web service results into your custom action script classes. You have to make converters yourself to accomplish this. With FDS/AMF I understand you can have this conversion automatically done for you.
  • Performance. People tend to say that webservices are slow. It’s true that the serialization/deserialization of the XML (both on client and server) side takes computing time. My experiences so far are that this extra computing time is not causing any serious damage in the user experience.
  • Flex has some trouble communicating with DOC/Literal encoded webservices. Especially in the .Net corner this is causing problems. But that should be temporarily ... The adobe guys are working on it and hopefully in a next release these issues will be fixed.

For me the advantages of webservices by far outweigh the disadvantages. So if you ask me: use webservices! You keep your freedom ...

Cheers,

Franck