> There are many other very smart things you can do like extending
> existing controls to do streaming rendering of data to provide the
> perception of speed, server side paging, caching, etc.

I fully agree with Dave. In the Flash world, XML has always been
ill-reputed as being 'bloated' and 'slow'. This probably originates from
Flash Player 5 times where XML parsing was slow and 56k modems were
still the norm.

Today, if i would have to choose, i would always go for standard and
user readable formats, as they are way easier to debug and maintain, and
don't lock me in to hard to debug, proprietary binary formats. The small
speed advantage you get just doesn't outweigh the disadvantages, imho.

Cheers,
Claus.