Hello all,

Long post in a nutshell: I'm looking for a way to speed up seeking time
when playing FLVs.

Long post:
I'm currently working on a project that displays two flv-files at the
same time (playback is synchronized). Performance when seeking forward
is just about acceptable (though not great) when playing from the hard
drive.

However -- once done -- the project will be distributed on a DVD. Here
seeking performance and also the initial load is horrible, since flex
tries to seek both files at the same time causing the dvd drive head to
jump a lot causing very slow read times.

So i have two questions:

1. Is it possible to force the flash player to just load both videos
into main memory (or PageFile) at start up?

2. To perform a seek, I currently set VideoDisplay's playheadTime
property. However seeking occurs asynchronously and there seems to be no
good way to recieve an event once the seeking has finished, or is there?

Therefore, after I set the playheadTime, I'm starting a timer to check
every couple of hundred milliseconds for VideoDisplay's property
'stateResonsive' to become true.

It seems that stateResponsive becomes true a bit before the seek has
really finished. Therefore I also check whether the VideoDisplay's
playheadTime is the same as the requested seekTime.

Is there a better way to do this? Checking with a timer event seems a
bit idiotic to me. Also, seeking takes quite long even when I first set
playheadTime only for video 1, wait until the seek has completed, then
set playheadTime for video 2, again wait until seek has completed and
then restart both videos.

I need to know when both videos have finished seeking, so that i can
play both FLVs synchronized.

The two FLV typically have sizes between 20 and 200MB each. One is
encoded with an Flash 7 Codec, the other with the newer Flash 8 On2 VP6
Codec. (seeking is slow with both codecs)

Or is there an altogether better way to display videos in flash  rather
than using the VideoDisplay control?

Surely seeking shouldn't be so slow. Initial load and seeking in an
similar sized avi with VLC happens almost instantaneously.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for reading so far :)

Ben