Hey guys.  I am just wondering if this is really the proper way to
bind and set up a field.

He is an example of a field on a popup window we have.  When the
screen is loaded, it needs to retrieve the data stored in the db and
display it on the screen.  Obviously later on we need to then save it
back.

This is now done via three different lines, in our init function we
have the following:

// Assign principal values to fields prior to binding
fname.data = _provider.firstname;

// Now bind fields to data record object
    BindingUtils.bindProperty(_provider, "firstname", fname, "text");

does it really take both these steps to do this??  Seems like extra work.