When I run this:
mxmlc -dump-config test-config.xml test.mxml

I still get an error stating that there is a "Call to a possibly undefined
method". In FB there's no problem because I added the SWC to my Library
paths.

I then edited the config file, as you suggested, to include the full path to
mxml-manifest.xml and now there is no error displayed in FB (after the
config file has been created).

However, I still can't use it to build from the commandline.

I ran this:
mxmlc -load-config test-config.xml

In the command prompt I get:
D:\Flex\test\test-config.xml(91): Error: unable to open 'libs'

     </library-path>

I'm guessing there's something else I need to change here.

I appreciate the help in this matter, however before we continue on what
might be wrong with the config file, can you tell me what the config XML is
used for? And will it enable me to do what I originally set out to do, which
is:

I want to setup my project in Flex Builder and then build the very same
project from the commandline without having to manually add all of the
options that Flex Builder is adding.

My company owns multiple copies of Flex Builder, so I'm not trying to get
around having to use Flex Builder. I really want to use Flex Builder to
create my projects and then let our build process pull in the source and
build the output files.

If I HAVE to do this manually by writing everything on the commandline then
fine. I was just hoping for a way to use Flex Builder to help me with this,
since it is (I can only assume) running the compiler with all the options
anyhow.