Have you tried using CDATA around your text when retrieving from your
database?

<![CDATA[

]]>

I use it to store HTML formatted text in a database and to retrieve it
back into any HTML capable control, such as rtfedit or textarea... even
a simple TEXT control as itemrenderer works with this method...

HTH

Iko