For anyone who comes across something similar, Alex Harui pointed me
to the answer on his blog about modules: http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

My problem was certain objects were being instantiated by one child
app, and then the other child apps wouldn't have access to that
object. The solution is to create those objects that the apps will
share in the parent application.

What confused me is that some of the built-in components/object behave
this way, in that the first app to need the object will create it for
all of the other apps (parent, siblings, and children) to use. In my
case, when a child instantiated said object, the other children didn't
have access to use it.

Tyler

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "tyriker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have created an app which creates a runtime error about 90% of the
> time when it loads up. The app contains 4 embedded Flex 2 apps (using
> SWFLoader). If I reduce the number of embedded apps to 2, the runtime
> error occurs about 33% of the time. If I decrease the number of
> embedded apps to 1, the runtime error never occurs. The error begins
> as follows:
>
> TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert
> mx.core::[EMAIL PROTECTED] to mx.core.IFactory.
>       at mx.charts.series::BarSeries/get

legendData()[C:\dev\flex_201_gmc\sdk\frameworks\mx\charts\series\BarSeries.as:178]