I just discovered why the second ComboBox was not affected -- it's
because I was disabling the ** Form item ** that wraps the ComboBox
and not the ComboBox itself.

I changed my code so that I enable and disable both ComboBoxes by
setting the enabled property for the Form item rather than for the
ComboBox and now the problem with the selectable text is gone (you can
even set the enabled property for the Form item to false in the MXML
without causing a problem).

One possible drawback that I found in doing this is that the Form
item's label text is dimmed when the Form item is disabled (disabling
only the ComboBox left the Form item's label untouched). Still, it's
better than the alternative of selectable text in the ComboBox.

Paul