You could do a cutom itemRenderer that is based on a canvas, put a label
for your text (cell value) and overwrite the set data method.

<mx:canvas..../>
<mx:Label id="myLabel" text=""/>
<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
    import mx.core.*;

override public function set data(data:Object) : void
{
    if (data != null)
    {
       super.data = data;