for...in iterates over properties.  Unless you've subclassed the panel and
gave each TextInput child its own variable, then this won't give you a
Container's children.  What you want is to iterate over the children:

for (var i:int = 0; i < panel.getChildren().length; i++) {
  var child:DisplayObject = panel.getChildAt(i);
  if (child is TextInput) {
     // do something useful

This will only work if the TextInputs are direct children of the panel.
Otherwise things will get a bit more tricky.

- Dan Freiman
nondocs <http://nondocs.blogspot.com>