> Or, if you were less charitable, you could claim it's just a mistake
on
> our part, and itemRenderer should be a style everywhere J

Oh please don't. I've been working with Flex 2 for only two months now,
but I get so annoyed with styles. For example, I'm coding along in AS3
and I want to change the appearance of something. I can't just hit "."
and shuffle around looking for the property I want to change. No, I have
to throw down a "setStyle(", run to the website documentation, find the
class, scroll down to styles, and then shuffle around for the "property"
name I want to change. Then go back type that it, and remember I forgot
what type of data this property is expecting, go back to the website and
look that up again. All I can say is, thank goodness we don't have to
set every property that way:

this.setProperty("width", 100);

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Ely Greenfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Good question.  You could think of it as a subtle but important
> difference...for lists, the item renderer is often very specific to
the
> type of data being rendered.  For charts, it is sometime very specific
> to the data schema, but just as often, purely a stylistic choice...do
> you want round points on your line, or diamonds?  More importantly, do
> you want round points on the first line, diamond points on the second
> line, etc?  As a stylistic (and per-instance) option, we wanted people
> to be able to develop style based themes for charts that just 'drop'
> into place.
>

> Or, if you were less charitable, you could claim it's just a mistake
on
> our part, and itemRenderer should be a style everywhere J
>

> Ely.

On