No, neither AMFPHP nor WebORB require FDS, well, at least not the server technology. You have to set up the Flex project as an FDS project type and you may need to make sure that the FDS SDK is installed on your development box. However, the rest is handled by the server components (AMFPHP/WebORB for PHP).

AMFPHP and WebORB each handle things a bit different. FDS goes beyond what either of them currently offer, with WebORB coming closer to the FDS feature set.

WebORB for .NET is a different story and you should check it out too. However, that would be a .NET implementation. Mark Piller at Midnight Coders would need to chime in here, but I believe there are plans to expand WebORB for PHP quite a bit. So definitely keep that in mind. If you look at the feature set of WebORB for .NET, especially for the Enterprise version, there is a good chance that a number of them will end up in the PHP version too, at least that's what was stated by Mark in the past.

If you require the full feature set of FDS now, you'll need to consider it instead.

Jurgen

TCash21 wrote:

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>, Jurgen Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> AMFPHP allows you to do RPC with objects too. Last thing I've heard and
> seen is that AMFPHP is changing hands. You'd need to monitor traffic to
> see what the future holds for it.
>
> WebORB is extremely solid and Mark and Harris at Midnight Coders are
> great in keeping up with adding new features to it.
>
> Essentially it comes down to your preference. Check both of them out,
> but my pick would be WebORB. :-)
>
> Jurgen
>
> TCash21 wrote:
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>, Jurgen Beck <jurgen@> wrote:
> > >
> > > You might want to check out WebORB for PHP at
> > > http://www.themidnightcoders.com. <http://www.themidnightcoders.com.>
<http://www.themidnightcoders.com. <http://www.themidnightcoders.com.>>

> > > http://themidnightcoders.com/weborb/php/remoteobjectandphp.htm <http://themidnightcoders.com/weborb/php/remoteobjectandphp.htm> > > <http://themidnightcoders.com/weborb/php/remoteobjectandphp.htm <http://themidnightcoders.com/weborb/php/remoteobjectandphp.htm>>
> > >
> > > Jurgen

I was

> > Thanks,
> > I'll try it. What about amfphp?

Do both of these require Flex Data Services though?
I was hoping to get around using that.