My point was only to refer to the inherent exclusive danger of open source
tools that Microsoft has had occasion to exploit, and that is the reliability
of a construct if derivatives aren't controlled as there root. And I'm
referring to the language not the classes.  Requesting a feature change or
improvement is far different from requesting open source of the Flex As3
language definition.

What I mean by this is that Open Source code in the form of AS3 classes is a
good thing.  Any notion, however, that the community of Flex Developers would
be able to distribute a different base interpreter is a dangerous one and
competitors like Microsoft know it (this doesn't include a custom lex and
interpreter for a 3rd party but the idea of a new version of a Flex
interpreter).

My only point was to keep Adobe informed of some of Microsoft's strategies they
have exhibited in the past.  I'm sure some at Adobe already know it, but I
believe in the lessons of history and the need to repeat them when the
possibility of danger is still there, especially as a friendly reminder to the
Flex community at large.

There is no whining going on here by anybody as far as I can tell; only, if
anything, casting the stone from a possible whiny arm.  The fact is that the
community of development on the whole in the world is becoming a lot better,
but there are still people out there with a never ending thirst for control,
and to keep their behemoths alive.

-r

aceoohay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                               Robert:

 Yes this is an earnest request.

 While I do not shrink from controversy if I believe it will get
 things done, I don't needlessly whine either. I believe that it is
 important to make sure that we help the developers of our tools
 understand what is important to us consumers of the tools. Otherwise
 their direction/vision may preclude them from doing the little things
 that make the difference between a easy to use tool and one that
 ain't.

 But really folks, this isn't rocket science, the sort routines are
 broken.

 Paul

 --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thompson
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > I don't believe the Flex language itself is open source, only
 the .swf format.

 > Someone at adobe may want to clear that up.
 >
 > Although I'm sure this is an earnest request, whenever open source
 is discussed one thing everyone on this list has to be careful of is
 that MICROSOFT will not go well into that good night of the loser
 status that are suffering at the hands of Apple and Linux after the
 desperate attempts by SCO.

 > I've learned enough about them to know that.  They will keep people
 out on the edge of happenings to attempt to stir trouble, so any
 discussion of Open Source (microsoft's thorn) in a way that would
 disturb the good foundation of Flash end-users should looked at
 closely.

 > One thing I've learned about enemies is that once you begin to feel
 sorry for their sad state, they usually have such little class as to
 reach out in desperation to draw their gun from their black holster
 and beady blue eyes to shoot at innocence.

 > Mercy is good, but not with Microsoft (never).
 >
 > -r
 >
 > Ralf Bokelberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:                               Why has you data null values in
 the first place?