The player is optimized to know if there are listeners.

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of dbronk
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:44 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Events and performance

I was wondering if I could get some input about events and performance.

The exact situation I have is I'm using the HashMap class from
"Copyright (c) 2006 Eric J. Feminella". I've modified the class so
that on put/remove/clear/reset functions it will dispatch a
"dataChanged" event. This way I can set listeners on the class.

This will obviously create many events. We use this class in several
places in our app, but only a couple need to listen to changes. Will
this create any type of performance issues since the bulk of the
HashMap instances will be dispatching events that nothing is listening
to? I'm not sure if Flex is optimized to see that an event is being
dispatched that nothing is listening to so handle it efficiently.

The other choice I was going to make was to modify the HashMap class
and remove the final from the class. Then extend it to a
ManagedHashMap class and have the HashMap not dispatch, but have the
ManagedHashMap dispatch.

Looking forward to hearing some other input.

Thanks,
Dale